The 2022 Solar Inverter Buyer’s Guide shows an incredible number of options to meet any project needs. Microinverters that can handle 880 Watts or enter a grid-forming mode to power a home in an outage with just PV. String inverters with more energy storage versatility and better roundtrip efficiencies. There’s a lot to digest below, so before we get to what’s new from 15 manufacturers, here is some advice on what to look for in an inverter spec sheet.
“A key part of an inverter spec sheet is which MLPE the inverter is compatible and certified with for Rapid Shutdown (PVRSS). It is important to identify the certified components prior to installation in the field to ensure NEC compliance. Not all inverters and rapid shutdown system pairings meet the 30V in 30 seconds requirement.” – Sarah Ozga, Product Manager, Tigo Energy
“Pay close attention to the number of units per branch. Fewer units means improved reliability by reducing potential points of failure, but also means fewer units for installers to purchase, stock and install. Also, compare the MPPT voltage range. A wide peak power tracking voltage means a microinverter can turn on earlier and stay on later.” – Jason Higginson, APsystems
“For microinverters, the actual expected AC power output and elimination of power ‘clipping’. With modern microinverters, it is unnecessary to tolerate any clipping with new higher Wattage PV modules. The industry norm has been lazy on this topic – it’s possible to eliminate clipping and stop wasting energy harvest and kWh.” – Ed Heacox, CEO, NEP
“While not explicitly mentioned on a datasheet, the number of hardware components an inverter requires is a spec that installers should pay close attention to. Modern string inverters, for example, have many integrated features such as software-based shade mitigation, multiple Maximum Power Point trackers (MPPT), and monitoring. This integration reduces the number of components in a system compared to technologies that require microinverters or DC optimizers on each solar module. The reduction in the number of components decreases the costs for hardware and labor and makes a system safer and more reliable because this system has much fewer potential points of failure, e.g., DC connectors.” – Richard Baldinger, Fronius
“Inverter spec sheets are reflective of an increasingly homogenous data set that doesn’t always reveal the short and long-term impacts system owners and installers can expect. In fact, we feel that the most important considerations are those not found within the confines of a traditional data sheet. Installers should pay attention to the longevity of a company, how their products are manufactured and what quality assurance measures are taken to ensure long-term, trouble-free performance. Risk reduction is critical in maximizing system performance, and a data sheet is just one piece of information that installers should evaluate when selecting an inverter.” – Brad Dore, SMA
“For off-grid inverters, two key specs and one key feature are often overlooked: 1) DC operating voltage is a common shortcoming, since off-grid voltage and battery swings are wide; 2) Self-consumption is important, since it affects system efficiency; 3) Fanless design is something to look for, since many inverters require cooling fans and they are sometimes the weakest link. Fans consumer power and represent a parasitic load (degrading efficiency). They have moving parts and can (and often do) fail. And they can shorten the inverter’s live because they pull in dust, dirt and debris” – Bill Mellema, Product Director, Morningstar Corporation
What’s new? GoodWe A-ES Hybrid inverters are in stock and ready for delivery. The GoodWe A-ES hybrid inverters are also available via GE as the GE Solar Inverter.
The 5-9.6-kW, single-phase A-ES is one of the only hybrid inverter on the market with 4 MPPTs. With UPS-level switching, the inverter can switch to backup in less than 10 milliseconds in case of power outage. This ensures household appliances are not compromised.
- 4 MPPTs, 50% DC oversizing
- AFCI & Rapid Shutdown
- UPS-level switching
- Smart Meter integrated
- Optional AC bypass switch
What’s new? APsystems has launched the new DS3 microinverter series, designed to accommodate today’s high-capacity PV modules and create a strong competitive advantage for installers. The DS3 series covers a wide variety of PV module types and sizes, installs faster and is the most powerful dual microinverter in the world. Fewer units on the roof, and fewer PV modules required for the same output as competing systems, puts more money in installers pockets. The DS3 means the maximum solar power output for homeowners and higher profits for solar installers.
1. The DS3 is the most powerful dual microinverter in the world. Three models cover most all panel types, sizes and capacities.
2. Far less equipment and at a lower cost. Competing systems require up to 3X the inverters and up to 60% more PV modules on the roof to hit the same output.
3. It installs faster than conventional microinverters and is simple plug-and-play.
4. Built-in Zigbee 2.4GHz wireless communication creates a mesh network for high-speed data transfer.
5. Fully NEC 690.12 and UL 1741 SA (CA Rule 21) compliant.
The QT2 is a 3-Phase microinverter for C&I applications. Each QT2 connects to up to 4 PV modules, is rapid shutdown and UL 1741 SA (CA Rule 21) compliant and comes in 1728W (208V) and 1800W (480V) output models. Why microinverters in commercial solar? As featured in the recent Solar Builder article “Making the case for microinverters in C&I solar,” the QT2 offers built-in rapid shutdown, pairing with higher capacity PV modules, improved performance over string inverters under a variety of conditions, fewer potential points of failure, plug-and-play three-phase wiring, and bonus: microinverters are now more cost-effective than ever. Solar installers can now offer their C&I customers all the benefits of MLPE in an easy-to-install, plug-and-play, native 3-Phase microinverter package. UL 1741-SB to be completed by end of Q1 2023.
- 208V and 480V models, wye and delta 3-Phase.
- True 3-Phase in the cable, no need to balance phases manually.
- Pairs with 4 PV modules 500-600W+ (dep. on your preferred AC/DC ratio).
- Inherently Rapid Shutdown compliant, no separate RSD system required.
- Reduces potential points of failure (PPOF) by 75%.
- The Pitch: Is APsystem’s DS3 the most powerful series of solar microinverters?
- Distributors: CED Greentech, Krannich, Soligent, Sonepar, Wesco, Fortune Energy, EDGES, iSolar Brokers, RENVU, Crescent Electric, ECO Distributing, Enertech, French Gerleman, GenPro, Ontility, Solar Wholesale, The Power Store, Van Meter, VP Supply, UMA Solar, and Wholesale Electric
What’s new? Chint Power Systems America is introducing its 250/275kW, 1500Vdc three-phase string inverters for North America. These high-power inverters are designed for ground mount and utility-scale applications. Available with either 36 fused or 24 unfused PV string inputs and 12 MPPTs. At Intersolar, CPS showcases these as part of a new Inverter Cluster, which combines three 275-kW inverters with one 800Vac Fused Disconnect, simplifying installation, and providing a cost-effective mounting solution.
The most powerful three-phase, 1,500 Vdc string inverter CPS America has released to date, the SCH275KTL model includes a selectable active power rating of either 250 kW or 275 kW (factory default) with 12 MPPTs and is available with either 36 fused PV string inputs or 24 unfused PV string inputs. Aside from high efficiencies and wide operating voltages, what really sets this inverter apart is its industry-leading operating temperature range with full power output up to 42°C (107°F). With the CPS SCH275KTL inverter, developers can ensure that their projects will achieve maximum production even as ambient temperatures rise. The CPS SCH275KTL-DO-US-800 is UL 1741-SB listed. It operates at too high of a voltage for UL 3741 listing (1,500 Vdc for ground-mount projects, as opposed to 1,000 Vdc for rooftop projects).
- Selectable max apparent power of 250kW or 275kW
- 12 MPPTs with either 36 fused inputs or 24 non-fused inputs
- Full power capacity up to an industry-leading 42°C
- Integrated dc disconnect switches
- Copper- and aluminum-compatible ac connections
The new, V2 version of the 36kW (36kVA) CPS three-phase string inverter is designed for rooftop and carport applications. The units are high performance, advanced and reliable inverters designed specifically for the North American environment and grid. High efficiency at 98.8% peak and 97.4% CEC, wide operating voltages, broad temperature ranges and a NEMA Type 4X enclosure enable this inverter platform to operate at high performance across many applications. CPS 36KTL V2 ships with either the Standard wire-box or the Rapid Shutdown wire-box, each fully integrated and separable with touch-safe fusing, monitoring, and AC and DC disconnect switches. The integrated PLC transmitter in the Rapid Shutdown Wire-box enables PVRSS certified module-level rapid shutdown when used with APS RSD-S-PLC/RSD-D products. The CPS FlexOM Gateway enables monitoring, controls and remote product upgrades.
The CPS SCA36KTL-DO-US-480-V2 is currently UL 1741-SB listed and is expected to receive UL 3741 listing with IronRidge, Sollega, Panelclaw, and Unirac by Q2 2023.
- Separable wire-box for simplified O&M and fast service
- 3 MPPTs with 5 inputs per MPPT
- Optional FlexOM Gateway enables remote firmware upgrades
- Standard and integrated RSD wire-box options
- Copper- and Aluminum-compatible AC connections
The CPS 25kW-208V three phase string inverters are designed and optimized for rooftop and carport applications with 208Vac service voltages. The CPS 25kW product ships with the Rapid Shutdown wire-box, fully integrated and separable with touch safe fusing, monitoring, and AC and DC disconnect switches. The integrated PLC transmitter in the Rapid Shutdown wire-box enables PVRSS certified module-level rapid shutdown when used with the TIGO, APS, and NEP products. The CPS Flex Gateway enables monitoring, controls and remote product upgrades.
- 208V AC output
- 3 MPPTs with 2 inputs each for maximum flexibility
- Integrated RSD wire-box options with TIGO, APS, and NEP
- NEC 2017/2020 compliant and UL listed Arc-Fault protection
- Separable wire-box design for fast service
What’s new? Darfon Solar will be launching its new out-door rated energy storage solution. The H7 is a hybrid inverter and the B17 LFP battery. The H7 can support loads of up to 7.6kW. The H7 can also be both AC-coupled and DC-coupled at the same time, so more solar panels can easily be added to an existing system. The B17 is a 17.5kWh high-voltage LFP battery. The high voltage design increases the conversion efficiency, lowers the current, and reduces the cable thickness.
The H7 hybrid inverter is sold with the B17 LFP battery. Since they are both out-door rated, they can be installed outdoors for easy access. Since Darfon makes both the inverter and battery, we can gather data to monitor and troubleshoot both products. The H7 comes with an external wireless display to control and see the current status of the system from inside the home. Like out previous hybrid inverters, the H7 is transformerless and has breakers, disconnect switches and generator support circuitry.
- Support loads of up to 7.6kW
- Grid input and output can be as much as 9.6kW
- Up to 12kW of PV with 4 MPPT when DC-coupled or 7.6kW when AC-coupled
- To be installed with the B17, a high-voltage LFP battery
- It only weighs 86.8lb, so it can be easily mounted and installed.
Darfon’s H5001 hybrid inverter can be used as a string inverter. Why is this useful? A hybrid inverter is more than double the cost of a string inverter. But if you look at the system cost, the inverter is only a small portion of that cost. The batteries are the most expensive component in hybrid system. In some cases, the additional cost of the batteries is what people cannot afford. So, it makes sense to install the H5001 as a string inverter and have a system that is energy storage ready. Then the batteries can be purchased and installed down the road. The thing that installers like about the H5001, is that it is straight forward to install and configure.
- PV Operation Voltage Range 120 to 500VDC
- Two MPPTs
- Output to Grid: 5000W, Output to Load: 5500W
- SGIP Compliant
- Compatible with various battery chemistries
- Distributors: Maximo Solar, RenVu, Solar Solutions for All, Volts Energies, World Technologies
What’s new? Enphase recently started shipping the IQ8 Microinverter, its smartest microinverter yet. This is the industry’s first grid-forming microinverter, offering homeowners the first-ever sunlight backup configuration that functions even during grid disruptions, with or without batteries. For homeowners who want a battery, there are no sizing restrictions on pairing an Enphase IQ Battery with an IQ8 solar system. Looking ahead, Enphase is planning to launch an all-in-one product that will deliver specialized solutions for the small commercial and industrial space, offering many of the same benefits as residential and further supporting installers looking to expand their business.
IQ8 Microinverters are UL Listed as PV Rapid Shut Down Equipment and have more than 1 million cumulative hours of power-on testing. IQ8 also unlocks new backup power opportunities for customers and sales avenues for installers. In addition to providing sunlight backup for the first time ever, typical storage sizing and ratio restrictions no longer apply with IQ8. Installers can add a range of battery sizes to customers’ homes and expand their systems over time as needed.
- Grid-forming microinverter with proprietary microchip makes sunlight backup possible for the first time and eliminates constraints on battery sizing for home energy systems;
- Split-phase power conversion capability efficiently converts DC power to AC power;
- Included Q-DCC-2 adapter cable with MC4 connectors supports quick PV module connections;
- Warranty of up to 25 years;
- UL Listed as PV Rapid Shut Down Equipment.
What’s new? In 2022, Fronius will launch various software tools that support solar installation companies, from planning a system to installing and monitoring it afterward. A new system design tool will help engineers configure new systems quickly and streamline their project management. In addition, Fronius will enrich its online monitoring platform Solar.web with new features for solar businesses.
With power categories ranging from 3.8 kW to 15.0 kW, the Fronius Primo is the ideal compact single-phase inverter for residential applications. This sleek inverter is equipped with the SnapINverter hinge mounting system, which allows for lightweight, secure, and convenient installation. The Primo inverters provide maximum safety, reliability, and highest energy yield even on complex roofs of shaded systems – giving customers the best return on their solar investment.
- Two size ranges: Fronius Primo 3.8 – 8.2 & Fronius Primo 10.0 – 15.0
- Smart shade mitigation with Dynamic Peak Manager
- SuperFlex Design for complex roofs and maximum design flexibility
- Wide voltage windows from 80V to 1,000V
- Integrated energy management feature
- Truly field-serviceable
The Fronius Symo Advanced inverter line features six models ranging from 10 kW to 24 kW, ideal for commercial and industrial applications. The Symo Advanced is lightweight and combines high-power density with flexibility to ensure the fastest possible installation for your PV project. The small number of total power conversion electronics adds to the high serviceability from any mounting spot. You get total system granularity with only a low number of system components. Developed with 2 Multiple Power Point Trackers and Dynamic Peak Manager, the shade mitigation solution, the Fronius Symo Advanced ensures your PV system operates at maximum performance and efficiency.
Yes: It is listed for both UL 1741 and UL 3741 (with use of PanelClaw and IronRidge racking systems)
- 208 Vac and 480 Vac versions available
- Smart shade mitigation with Dynamic Peak Manager
- SuperFlex Design for complex roofs and maximum design flexibility
- SunSpec transmitter for Module Level Rapid Shutdown integrated
- Truly field-serviceable
What’s new? Generac’s PWRcell Inverter works seamlessly with the full PWRcell product ecosystem, including the recently launched PWRmanager and PWRgenerator. Upcoming firmware updates allowing AC Coupled PV and Generator Integration will also be compatible with the same great PWRcell Inverter you’re used to. Strategic firmware updates throughout the past years like these have continued to polish the PWRcell System as a comprehensive clean energy management solution. To further round out the Generac menu, the company will be debuting its PWRmicro later this year.
The PWRcell Inverter was designed with the installer in mind. This bi-directional, REbus-powered inverter offers a simple, efficient design for integrating smart batteries with solar. Its ability to DC couple to solar and storage makes installation easy, allowing for plug-and-play operation. Solar + battery storage is simplified with this single hybrid inverter for grid-tied solar and whole home power. Ideal for backup power applications, as well as self-supply and zero-export energy cost management, PWRcell Inverters are among the most feature-rich in the industry and are backed by a 10-year limited warranty.
- 97% CEC weighted efficiency
- Simplified system design: No autotransformer or battery inverter needed
- Seamless integration with the Generac PWRmanager and Automatic Transfer Switch for whole-home backup capabilities
- User-selectable modes for backup power, self-supply, time-of-use, zero-import and export limiting
- Integrated system monitoring via PWRfleet web portal and PWRview mobile apps
The microinverter technology you’re familiar with, coming soon from the leader in home energy technology. Generac Dual-module PWRmicros will offer up to 720W continuous power for maximum performance and faster installation at an unbeatable value. Market-leading power throughput taps the potential of larger solar modules and maximizes lifetime system value. Install single-module PWRmicros in combination with dual-module units for unmatched design flexibility. Simplify installation, maximize production, and navigate difficult shade scenarios and complex rooflines with Generac’s line of microinverters.
Five key specs:
1. Two models available: 720W Dual-module PM2-720-01, and 290W Single-module PM1-290-01
2. Minimizes losses due to shading and debris
3. Eliminates single points of failure
4. Integrated grounding and modular bus cabling
5. NEC rapid shutdown compliant
- The Pitch: How Generac’s PWRgenerator and PWRmanager ensure whole home backup with solar and one battery
- Distributors: CED Greentech, Glenn International, Krannich Solar, BayWa r.e.
- Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
What’s new? Morningstar is introducing a line of small inverters for industrial and other off-grid applications. The SureSine pure sine wave inverter line debuts at InterSolar Europe this May, initially with 6 models, from 150-2500 Watts in both North American 120V and International 230V versions. Models support combinations of 12/24/48V batteries.
SureSines are the polar opposite of “me too” thinking, designed for the “mission-critical” industrial applications so important to Morningstar customers. Six models, from 150 to 2500 Watts in both North American 120V and International 230V versions. Models support combinations of 12/24/48V batteries. The range covers off-grid industrial systems in diverse applications such as rural development, telecommunications and wireless service providers, oil & gas, and more. They have superior thermal performance with fanless design for higher reliability– for example, the 300W model doesn’t derate until 45 C and delivers 200W at 60 C. System-level integration and communication with Morningstar charge controllers. Multiple AC hardwire remote terminal options on selected models. UL 1741 listed, and also IEC-62109-1, IEC 62109-2, and CE/UKCA compliant.
- Power Surge capability at 40 C (under 5 seconds) is twice the rated output power
- Operating temperature range is -40 C to +60 C
- Peak efficiency ranges from 89-92%, depending on the model
- Fanless design—no fans to fail for greater reliability and efficiency
- Full protections built-in
What’s new? NEP expanded its microinveter line up to include the EQ-800, a 2x400Wac dual microinverter with Rule 21 certifications. The company also refined its Rapid Shutdown solutions focusing on single and dual module devices with two-way data communications for enhanced safety and service efficiency.
The BDM series involves nimble engineering, better service execution and easier positioning. Fill voids and gaps of content incumbents to generate customer focused value. A key attribute is its metal exterior, which avoids the more common failures associated with plastic module-level power electronics on hot roofs.
NEP’s unique, two-way data communication Rapid Shutdown solution enables installer confidence that rapid shutdown is functioning correctly. This is valuable for safety assurance, code compliance, AHJ approval and characterization of the array performance upon commissioning. Further, NEP includes IV Curve trace ‘service mode’ to enable easier measurements at time of commissioning and through the life of the project. NEP’s optional data gateway is available for remote PV panel diagnostics and data performance.
- PVG-1 and PVG-2 for single and dual PV panels
- Mounting for racking rail and optional clip available for PV module frame mount
- Two way data flow for safety and performance with optional NEP gateway
- Transmitters available in stand-along enclosure and integrated with leading C&I inverters providers
- Webinar: Intelligent rapid shutdown with string inverters
- Distributors: CED, REXEL, CPS (Chint Power Systems), Solwel
- Website: northernep.com
What’s new? PV with integrated storage continues to dominate discussions in large-scale applications. Utilities are investing in storage in a meaningful way and preparing for an increasingly large demand from electric vehicles. They are also increasingly looking at owning and operating distributed assets for improved control. SMA’s investment in its storage technology has been apparent with new offerings in the utility, commercial, and residential spaces in the works. Beyond storage, a disruptive new method for addressing compliance with rooftop shutdown requirements is here. We will see the first certifications to UL3741 as a method to shutdown within an array boundary. This certification will provide commercial and residential integrators with maximum safety, while reducing fire risk, improving system reliability, while doing so at a significant cost savings.
The Sunny Tripower X is the latest in commercial solar energy generation and the new centerpiece of the proven SMA Energy System Business. As a comprehensive solution, the integrated System Manager enables complete energy management from one platform while combining state-of-the-art technology into one device. This single-source design ensures small to medium-sized businesses can accommodate future energy management and needs. UL listing announcements coming soon.
- High flexibility in system design with 3 MPP trackers
- Easier installation with an overall lighter weight and wall-or-rack mount
- Flexible and scalable system sizing: 30 kW, 25 kW & 20 kW
- Integrated System Manager allows monitoring and control of up to 5 inverters (with up to 150 kVA) and 1 energy meter
- SMA ShadeFix offers next level performance optimization
The Sunny Tripower CORE1 is the only inverter that offers an intelligent IV curve diagnostic, advanced string monitoring, and SMA Smart Connected. The world’s first free-standing PV inverter for commercial rooftops, carports, ground mount and repowering legacy solar projects, the Sunny Tripower CORE1 enables logistical, material, labor, and service cost reductions, and is the most versatile, cost-effective commercial solution available.
- First commercial system listed to standard UL 3741 PV Hazard Control for NEC 690.12 compliance
- System visibility with intelligent IV curve diagnostic and advanced string monitoring
- Integrated SunSpec PLC signal for module-level rapid shutdown compliance to 2017 NEC
- ShadeFix optimization generates more power
- SMA Smart Connected, Sunny Portal, and SMA’s Online Service Center provide automatic, proactive, and unmatched service support
Coming to market in mid-2023, the new, ground-breaking Sunny Boy Smart Energy hybrid inverter system will enable both immediate energy use and storage in one single device, with three modular backup options that deliver greater electricity reliability. With its high-speed battery charging capabilities to its easy installation and handling, this newest offering will provide a capable, flexible solution that empowers homeowners to take control of their energy.
- 2-in-1 solution with a range in powerclass options from 3.8 to 11.4
- Modern, modular design that is also more functional because it is smaller and lighter
- Integrated System Manager allows management of up to 3 inverters and batteries
- 3 modular back-up options offer homeowners energy security choices, with or without a battery
- Save installation time and money with intuitive, quick commissioning from the SMA 360° app
For more info:
- Webinar: Top Five Overlooked Service Considerations in Utility PV Plants: What You Need to Know
- Distributors: Where to buy SMA
- Email address: email@example.com
- Website: www.sma-america.com
What’s new? Schneider Electric’s upcoming offerings make managing whole home and partial home backup easy. Schneider Electric recently launched a new InsightCloud user interface and made updates to the InsightMobile app that will make managing solar and storage systems easier. InsightCloud features a clean UI with improved navigation, a new multi-site overview, and site comparison that allows for a more insightful experience. As part of the InsightMobile update, solar professionals now have even further control over how the site is configured. With the app, you can now edit the site, scan the MAC address and serial number as you configure a site.
Get more power out of your solar panels with Schneider Inverter’s integrated optimizers. With 4 independent channels, systems are efficient, easier to install, and support complex PV arrays with multiple orientations. For home battery systems, the Inverter pairs with the Boost battery. The compatible Pulse electrical panel can be used to intelligently control what appliances use the battery power during a grid outage. This can extend the battery runtime up to 80% while maintaining flexibility for the homeowner to choose what to power on the fly. The inverter’s 200% surge capability means higher reliability backup power by better handling the initial surge of electricity that many appliances require when starting. The solar and battery systems can operate with dc or ac-coupled solar, and are compatible with generators for extended backup. Schneider’s 200 Amp rated Backup Controller is available in multiple configurations for easier installations and fewer boxes on the wall. Schneider Inverter will be available in H2 2023.
- 7 kW continuous backup power, 15.4 kW peak output power (10 sec)
- Easy installation and commissioning experience
- Easy integration with load control and management
- Flexible battery capacity with 10 to 30 kWh per inverter, or install as a battery-ready solar power system
- Rated for Indoor or Outdoor installations
The XW Pro leads Schneider Electric Solar’s hybrid inverter range, as it provides installers with the flexibility to design and install a complete solar and storage system. The XW Pro offers a high overload power rating of 1.75x with the ability to stack up to 4 inverter units to increase overall power output. Because of its scalable and adaptable infrastructure, the XW Pro can also be integrated with lithium-ion batteries for solar and storage, or backup power systems without solar. Schneider Electric’s solar hybrid inverters come with a complete ecosystem of accessories to enable efficient installation. This includes integration with MPPT charge controllers and Insight Energy Management, Schneider Electric’s energy management software that allows solar professionals to remotely manage multiple installation sites with ease.
- Reliable performance with a 6.8 kW output with up to 12 kW peak overload
- Flexibility in installations and operations with Stacking capability of up to 4 units in single-phase or 6 units in 3-phase
- Compatibility with a wide range of battery technologies, including Lithium-ion battery integration
- Optional integration with generator
- Compatible for use across a wide range of applications such as grid-tied, off-grid, self-consumption, backup power
What’s new? Sol-Ark is launching several new product families and extending its proven inverter line this year. With a strong reputation for best-in-class technology, the Sol-Ark team has steadily advanced by adding real value to home and business owners’ pursuit of energy independence and resilience.
Sol-Ark’s 15K-2P (UL# Limitless 15K-LV) is so powerful that it eliminates standby generators, a 200A whole home transfer switch (built in), UPS’s for electronics due to 5ms switching, Neutral Forming Transformer due to split phase output, and parallel stacking because only one is needed. Sol-Ark also sells smaller units (12K-2P, 8K-2P, 5K-1P) for critical loads, off grid, and mobile applications. Features and benefits include parallel stacking, grid sell, meter zero, time of use, smart load, generators, simultaneous AC & DC Coupling, & peak shaving. The company has partnered with many battery companies like HomeGrid, Endure, SimpliPhi, Fortress, Blue Ion, Storz Power, PowerSync, and Discover to advance inverter and battery control through extensive communications.
- 20 kW pk power
- 4ms UPS Transfer times,
- Generator support,
- 93% Round Trip Efficiency
Sol-Ark introduced a line of three-phase hybrid inverters in light commercial 30K-3P-120/208V and industrial 60K-3P-277/480V. Both support 4 MPPTs for dc coupling, ac coupling, generators, UPS grade 200A 5ms auto transfer switch between grid/off-grid/generator, 12 parallel stacking, two independent high voltage batteries, and U.S.-based remote monitoring/control. Previously, 208V ESS applications had to use 480V inverters and massive transformers, wasting power and install time. Most previous C&I hybrids were for on-grid peak shaving or meter zeroing and lacked built-in transfer switches for grid forming. Sol-Ark 30K & 60K is an all-in-one, easy-to-install hybrid inverter for the C&I market.
- Native 3Phase 120/208V or 277/480V without a transformer
- Built in 200A 5ms Grid/Off-Grid/Generator transfer switch
- Built in 4 MPPT’s for DC Coupling & Simultaneous AC coupling
- Parallel stacking to 12 units
- US based remote monitoring/control
- Distributors: CED Greentech, Soligent, City Electric Supply, AEE, Krannich, Beacon, The PowerStore, GenPro energy solutions, Zonna Energy, Inter-Island, R&R, BayWa, AltE store, Northern Arizona Wind & Sun, Renvu, Multi Batteries, Warren, HES, Sentinel, Solar Solutions, & more
What’s new? SolarEdge recently launched the SolarEdge Home battery, a 10kWh battery that has 94.5% round trip efficiency and allows up to 3 batteries to be installed on its Home Hub inverter. Additionally, SolarEdge has announced several new features in its mySolarEdge app, including Weather Guard, a feature designed to fully charge the battery when a potential severe weather event is detected nearby. Looking forward, SolarEdge will release its new S-Series residential Power Optimizer, which features SolarEdge Sense Connect, a step change in arc-fault detection and prevention. In the C&I space, SolarEdge is looking to bring to market solutions that serve large-scale and community solar applications. S-series Power Optimizers implement condition monitoring features, or the ability to identify changes in a PV array that could indicate a developing arc fault.
The SolarEdge Home Hub inverter’s industry leading 99% weighted efficiency paired with its ability to DC oversize up to 200% allows installers to install more power, increase system ROI, and better meet the increasing energy needs of their customers. Additionally, the DC-coupled Home battery offers installers the ability to install the inverter, battery, and EV charger on a single breaker which enables faster installation both at the time of install, as well as with future additions, with fewer main panel upgrades. All of this paired with a standard warranty of 12 years extendable to 25 years, integrated arc fault protection, and in app features such as Weather Guard, enables installers to offer their customers increased peace of mind and reliability.
- 99% weighted efficiency, 94.5% round trip efficiency with SolarEdge Home Battery
- Pairs quickly with up to 3 SolarEdge Home batteries per inverter, Smart EV Charger, and SolarEdge Smart Energy Devices, with up to 3 inverters per system.
- DC coupling allows for inverter, battery, and EV charger to be installed on one breaker, resulting in fewer main panel upgrades, and lower installation costs
- 3.8 kW to 11.4 kW range with up to 200% DC oversizing allowed
- NEMA 4X and UL1741SA certified
Reaching up to 120kW, SolarEdge’s Three-Phase Inverters with Synergy Technology are designed to provide more power and higher profitability in large-scale PV installations. Maximizing energy production with up to 175% DC oversizing, it offers improved uptime through modularity and independently working units.
A pre-commissioning feature allows installers to validate system components before connecting to the grid and the built-in night-time PID rectifier helps to avoid module performance degradation.
Advanced safety is offered through SolarEdge’s arc fault protection and rapid shutdown, built-in thermal sensors on the DC and AC terminal blocks, and field-replaceable surge protection devices
Three Phase Inverter with Synergy Technology Power Ratings:
- 50kW @208V grid,
- 80kW, 100kW, 110kW, 120kW @480V grid
- 2-person installation (each inverter consists of 2 or 3 Synergy units and one Synergy Manager)
- Pre-commissioning designed to resolve system issues before grid connection via SetApp and a USB power bank.
- Monitored and field-replaceable type 2 surge protection devices (SPDs)
- Solution includes solar module level optimizer yielding savings on eBOS and allowing for greater energy production over plant life
Three Phase Inverter Power Ratings:
- 10kW (available in Q3 2022), 17.3kW @208V grid;
- 30kW, 40kW @480V grid
The S-Series features advanced safety features such as SolarEdge Sense Connect, an industry-first technology that detects temperature increase at the connector level, stopping power flow before an arc can occur. The SolarEdge Sense Connect technology joins an expanded range of safety features, such as SafeDC, and rapid shutdown. Providing 99.5% efficiency and supporting two high power, high input current PV modules, the S-Series lowers Levelized Cost of Energy thanks to higher yield and enables longer and more powerful strings.
What’s new? Solis US introduces a new PV String Hybrid Energy Storage inverter in Q4 2022. The new Solis S6 Hybrid models range from 3.8K to 11.4K, are UL 9540 listed with a wide variety of dc-coupled HV batteries, and now include a Bluetooth interface and a 120/240 autotransformer for native split phase backup power. This new family of inverters — S6-EH-1P-(3.8-11.4)K-H-US — is being certified to the new UL 1741 SB test standard and will be Rule 21 and HECO compliant.
Size / category: 3.8K to 11.4K / Grid Support Utility Interactive PV + Storage Inverter
Ease of installation, flexible design for a variety of customer use cases. The Solis S6 (Series 6) hybrid inverter can be installed as a simple grid tie inverter that’s “battery-ready”. The inverter can be set up as a battery backup solution. The S6 can be set up with PV and battery, connected to the grid, or off grid. The Solis S6 Hybrid utilizes high voltage batteries, 120-550Vdc and Solis US has UL 9549 certification with many recognized and new battery brands in the growing US storage market. The Solis S6 Hybrid is UL 1741 SA & SB certified. It is a grid support utility interactive inverter. The S6 hybrid is UL 3741 certified with Esdec Solar rooftop solar racking systems (Ecofasten, PanelClaw, Ironridge).
- Four (4) independent MPPTs rated for new high-power, high current PV modules
- 120/240 split phase Grid and Backup power. 50 amps continuous Backup
- Inverters can be paralleled using RS485
- New Bluetooth connectivity, plug-and-play antenna extends range
- Factory integrated PVRSS
Size / category: Residential and Commercial Inverter Wi-Fi / Cellular Data Logging Device
The best “combination” Wi-Fi / Cellular data logging communication device on the market. NEMA 3R, plug-and-play connection to the Solis inverter external comm port. Powers up and begins broadcasting with 2 minutes. Default Wi-Fi to the local router. However, if the router fails, within 2 minutes, the W4G “stick” finds the nearest GSM or LTE cellular tower. No breaks in data, ever. Physical reset button and three (3) LEDs on the front tell the installer what the device is doing. The Solis Wi-Fi / Cellular “stick” is a data logging communication tool that can broadcast data from as many as ten (10) Solis residential or commercial PV string inverters daisy-chained with Solis cords or CAT5e cable. The S1-W4G-ST is also a great troubleshooting tool. Using the S1-W4G-ST, an installer can connect any Solis inverter to the nearest cell phone tower and see if the inverter is broadcasting data to the Cloud.
- Touch-safe, plug-and-play installation with no configuration of the device
- Easy Wi-Fi connection to the local router using the installer’s own cell phone
- NEMA 4X, installed under the inverter for all-weather performance
- Each Solis data logging device can broadcast data from as many as 10 inverters
- Small, rugged and easy to carry, the Solis Wi-Fi / Cellular data logging device can be a handy trouble-shooting tool
Size / category: 75K, 80K, 90K and 100K family of 1000 Vdc / 480 Vdc grid-support utility interactive PV string inverters
The Solis S5-GC family of PV Filling a neglected power size niche in the US solar market, Solis 75K - 100K inverters are also unique with the industry’s widest full power MPPT operating range. With adjustable ac voltage connections from 310 V to 480 Vac, the Solis S5-GC(75-100)K-US family of inverters are the best repowering PV string inverters on the market today. Used as replacement for older central or PV string inverters, the modern Solis 1000 Vdc inverters deliver safety upgrades and better communication capabilities to “legacy” 600 Vdc PV arrays that may be sitting on valuable land, or may have favorable off-taking contacts or interconnection agreements. Solis S5-GC(75-100)K-US inverters can be located at the combiner box or at a central location. In either case, very wide full-power MPPT operating ranges (e.g., 90K, 309-850 Vdc) on as many as 10 independent MPPTs will extract maximum value from aging PV arrays.
The S5-GC(75-100K)-US family of inverters are UL 1741 SA & SB certified and comply with IEEE 1547-2018 and 2030.5.
The S5-GC(75-100K)-US inverters are UL 3741 certified with Sollega and with Esdec Solar rooftop racking systems (Ecofasten, PanelClaw, Ironridge).
- 8 to 10 independent MPPTs with wide full power dc operating ranges
- Segmented dc switches for arc fault and troubleshooting isolation
- Wide ac voltage connection capability
- High amp MC4-type dc inputs allow for PV string Y-connect in the array field
- Integrated AC switch and UL 3741 PV Fire Hazard listed with popular PV racking systems
What’s new? Tigo Energy, renowned for its module level power electronics (MLPE) that enhance PV systems with other solar inverters, is listed for the first time in the Inverter Buyer’s Guide because it now has its own inverter. This Energy Intelligence (EI) Battery and Inverter product line will benefit from native integrations of other Tigo technology and is an extension of the Tigo Enhanced commercial and industrial solar partnership program into the residential market.
Our Tigo EI Residential Hybrid Inverter can work as a standalone photovoltaic inverter today and when you’re ready for storage, easily add our EI Battery. When paired with Tigo’s Optimizers, our patented PIV enables more output per given area and modules to be placed in areas with shade. PVRSS certified for Rapid shutdown with Tigo’s TS4-A-O and TS4-A-F/-2F MLPE, right out of the box. With 50V startup, the inverter can wake up early and shutdown later. This means our system is able to maximize more energy production through the day. It is UL 1741 listed.
- Available in 3.8 kW, 7.6 kW and 11.4kW models
- Storage-ready ‘hybrid’ inverter
- 50V starting voltage, wide operating range
- Up to 200% DC oversizing (2:1 DC/AC ratio)
- Warranty = 152 months
Listen to more in-depth conversations on Solar Builder's YouTube channel
Our most popular series include:
Power Forward! | A collaboration with BayWa r.e. to discuss higher level industry topics.
The Buzz | Where we give our 2 cents per kWh on the residential solar market.
The Pitch | Discussions with solar manufacturers about their new technology and ideas.