The 2022 Solar Inverter Buyer’s Guide shows an incredible number of options to meet any project needs. Microinverters that can handle 880 Watts or enter a grid-forming mode to power a home in an outage with just PV. String inverters with more energy storage versatility and better roundtrip efficiencies. There’s a lot to digest below, so before we get to what’s new from 15 manufacturers, here is some advice on what to look for in an inverter spec sheet.
“A key part of an inverter spec sheet is which MLPE the inverter is compatible and certified with for Rapid Shutdown (PVRSS). It is important to identify the certified components prior to installation in the field to ensure NEC compliance. Not all inverters and rapid shutdown system pairings meet the 30V in 30 seconds requirement.” – Sarah Ozga, Product Manager, Tigo Energy
“Pay close attention to the number of units per branch. Fewer units means improved reliability by reducing potential points of failure, but also means fewer units for installers to purchase, stock and install. Also, compare the MPPT voltage range. A wide peak power tracking voltage means a microinverter can turn on earlier and stay on later.” – Jason Higginson, APsystems
“For microinverters, the actual expected AC power output and elimination of power ‘clipping’. With modern microinverters, it is unnecessary to tolerate any clipping with new higher Wattage PV modules. The industry norm has been lazy on this topic – it’s possible to eliminate clipping and stop wasting energy harvest and kWh.” – Ed Heacox, CEO, NEP
“While not explicitly mentioned on a datasheet, the number of hardware components an inverter requires is a spec that installers should pay close attention to. Modern string inverters, for example, have many integrated features such as software-based shade mitigation, multiple Maximum Power Point trackers (MPPT), and monitoring. This integration reduces the number of components in a system compared to technologies that require microinverters or DC optimizers on each solar module. The reduction in the number of components decreases the costs for hardware and labor and makes a system safer and more reliable because this system has much fewer potential points of failure, e.g., DC connectors.” – Richard Baldinger, Fronius
“Inverter spec sheets are reflective of an increasingly homogenous data set that doesn’t always reveal the short and long-term impacts system owners and installers can expect. In fact, we feel that the most important considerations are those not found within the confines of a traditional data sheet. Installers should pay attention to the longevity of a company, how their products are manufactured and what quality assurance measures are taken to ensure long-term, trouble-free performance. Risk reduction is critical in maximizing system performance, and a data sheet is just one piece of information that installers should evaluate when selecting an inverter.” – Brad Dore, SMA
“For off-grid inverters, two key specs and one key feature are often overlooked: 1) DC operating voltage is a common shortcoming, since off-grid voltage and battery swings are wide; 2) Self-consumption is important, since it affects system efficiency; 3) Fanless design is something to look for, since many inverters require cooling fans and they are sometimes the weakest link. Fans consumer power and represent a parasitic load (degrading efficiency). They have moving parts and can (and often do) fail. And they can shorten the inverter’s live because they pull in dust, dirt and debris” – Bill Mellema, Product Director, Morningstar Corporation
What’s new? GoodWe A-ES Hybrid inverters are in stock and ready for delivery. The GoodWe A-ES hybrid inverters are also available via GE as the GE Solar Inverter.
The 5-9.6-kW, single-phase A-ES is one of the only hybrid inverter on the market with 4 MPPTs. With UPS-level switching, the inverter can switch to backup in less than 10 milliseconds in case of power outage. This ensures household appliances are not compromised.
- 4 MPPTs, 50% DC oversizing
- AFCI & Rapid Shutdown
- UPS-level switching
- Smart Meter integrated
- Optional AC bypass switch
What’s new? APsystems has launched the new DS3 microinverter series, designed to accommodate today’s high-capacity PV modules and create a strong competitive advantage for installers. The DS3 series covers a wide variety of PV module types and sizes, installs faster and is the most powerful dual microinverter in the world. Fewer units on the roof, and fewer PV modules required for the same output as competing systems, puts more money in installers pockets. The DS3 means the maximum solar power output for homeowners and higher profits for solar installers.
1. The DS3 is the most powerful dual microinverter in the world. Three models cover most all panel types, sizes and capacities.
2. Far less equipment and at a lower cost. Competing systems require up to 3X the inverters and up to 60% more PV modules on the roof to hit the same output.
3. It installs faster than conventional microinverters and is simple plug-and-play.
4. Built-in Zigbee 2.4GHz wireless communication creates a mesh network for high-speed data transfer.
5. Fully NEC 690.12 and UL 1741 SA (CA Rule 21) compliant.
- The Pitch: Is APsystem’s DS3 the most powerful series of solar microinverters?
- Distributors: CED Greentech, Krannich, Soligent, Sonepar, Wesco, Fortune Energy, EDGES, iSolar Brokers, RENVU, Crescent Electric, ECO Distributing, Enertech, French Gerleman, GenPro, Ontility, Solar Wholesale, The Power Store, Van Meter, VP Supply, UMA Solar, and Wholesale Electric
What’s new? Chint Power Systems America is introducing its 250/275kW, 1500Vdc three-phase string inverters for North America. These high-power inverters are designed for ground mount and utility-scale applications. Available with either 36 fused or 24 unfused PV string inputs and 12 MPPTs. At Intersolar, CPS showcases these as part of a new Inverter Cluster, which combines three 275-kW inverters with one 800Vac Fused Disconnect, simplifying installation, and providing a cost-effective mounting solution.
The 275kW high power CPS three-phase string inverters are designed for large utility-scale ground mount applications. High efficiencies, wide operating voltages, broad temperature ranges and NEMA Type 4X enclosure enable this inverter platform to operate at high performance across many applications. The 275kW inverter includes touch safe DC fuse holders for added convenience and safety. CPS will accompany the 275kW inverter with an 800Vac Balance of System offering for optimized system designs.
- 12 MPPTs with 36 fused inputs for maximum flexibility
- Full power capacity up to 42oC
- Wide operating and MPPT voltage ranges
- Integrated DC disconnect switches
- Copper and Aluminum compatible AC connections
The CPS 25kW-208V three phase string inverters are designed and optimized for rooftop and carport applications with 208Vac service voltages. The CPS 25kW product ships with the Rapid Shutdown wire-box, fully integrated and separable with touch safe fusing, monitoring, and AC and DC disconnect switches. The integrated PLC transmitter in the Rapid Shutdown wire-box enables PVRSS certified module-level rapid shutdown when used with the TIGO, APS, and NEP products. The CPS Flex Gateway enables monitoring, controls and remote product upgrades.
- 208V AC output
- 3 MPPTs with 2 inputs each for maximum flexibility
- Integrated RSD wire-box options with TIGO, APS, and NEP
- NEC 2017/2020 compliant and UL listed Arc-Fault protection
- Separable wire-box design for fast service
What’s new? Darfon Solar will be launching its new out-door rated energy storage solution. The H7 is a hybrid inverter and the B17 LFP battery. The H7 can support loads of up to 7.6kW. The H7 can also be both AC-coupled and DC-coupled at the same time, so more solar panels can easily be added to an existing system. The B17 is a 17.5kWh high-voltage LFP battery. The high voltage design increases the conversion efficiency, lowers the current, and reduces the cable thickness.
The H7 hybrid inverter is sold with the B17 LFP battery. Since they are both out-door rated, they can be installed outdoors for easy access. Since Darfon makes both the inverter and battery, we can gather data to monitor and troubleshoot both products. The H7 comes with an external wireless display to control and see the current status of the system from inside the home. Like out previous hybrid inverters, the H7 is transformerless and has breakers, disconnect switches and generator support circuitry.
- Support loads of up to 7.6kW
- Grid input and output can be as much as 9.6kW
- Up to 12kW of PV with 4 MPPT when DC-coupled or 7.6kW when AC-coupled
- To be installed with the B17, a high-voltage LFP battery
- It only weighs 86.8lb, so it can be easily mounted and installed.
Darfon’s H5001 hybrid inverter can be used as a string inverter. Why is this useful? A hybrid inverter is more than double the cost of a string inverter. But if you look at the system cost, the inverter is only a small portion of that cost. The batteries are the most expensive component in hybrid system. In some cases, the additional cost of the batteries is what people cannot afford. So, it makes sense to install the H5001 as a string inverter and have a system that is energy storage ready. Then the batteries can be purchased and installed down the road. The thing that installers like about the H5001, is that it is straight forward to install and configure.
- PV Operation Voltage Range 120 to 500VDC
- Two MPPTs
- Output to Grid: 5000W, Output to Load: 5500W
- SGIP Compliant
- Compatible with various battery chemistries
- Distributors: Maximo Solar, RenVu, Solar Solutions for All, Volts Energies, World Technologies
What’s new? Enphase recently started shipping the IQ8 Microinverter, its smartest microinverter yet. This is the industry’s first grid-forming microinverter, offering homeowners the first-ever sunlight backup configuration that functions even during grid disruptions, with or without batteries. For homeowners who want a battery, there are no sizing restrictions on pairing an Enphase IQ Battery with an IQ8 solar system. Looking ahead, Enphase is planning to launch an all-in-one product that will deliver specialized solutions for the small commercial and industrial space, offering many of the same benefits as residential and further supporting installers looking to expand their business.
IQ8 Microinverters are UL Listed as PV Rapid Shut Down Equipment and have more than 1 million cumulative hours of power-on testing. IQ8 also unlocks new backup power opportunities for customers and sales avenues for installers. In addition to providing sunlight backup for the first time ever, typical storage sizing and ratio restrictions no longer apply with IQ8. Installers can add a range of battery sizes to customers’ homes and expand their systems over time as needed.
- Grid-forming microinverter with proprietary microchip makes sunlight backup possible for the first time and eliminates constraints on battery sizing for home energy systems;
- Split-phase power conversion capability efficiently converts DC power to AC power;
- Included Q-DCC-2 adapter cable with MC4 connectors supports quick PV module connections;
- Warranty of up to 25 years;
- UL Listed as PV Rapid Shut Down Equipment.
What’s new? In 2022, Fronius will launch various software tools that support solar installation companies, from planning a system to installing and monitoring it afterward. A new system design tool will help engineers configure new systems quickly and streamline their project management. In addition, Fronius will enrich its online monitoring platform Solar.web with new features for solar businesses.
With power categories ranging from 3.8 kW to 15.0 kW, the Fronius Primo is the ideal compact single-phase inverter for residential applications. This sleek inverter is equipped with the SnapINverter hinge mounting system, which allows for lightweight, secure, and convenient installation. The Primo inverters provide maximum safety, reliability, and highest energy yield even on complex roofs of shaded systems – giving customers the best return on their solar investment.
- Two size ranges: Fronius Primo 3.8 – 8.2 & Fronius Primo 10.0 – 15.0
- Smart shade mitigation with Dynamic Peak Manager
- SuperFlex Design for complex roofs and maximum design flexibility
- Wide voltage windows from 80V to 1,000V
- Integrated energy management feature
- Truly field-serviceable
The Fronius Symo Advanced inverter line features six models ranging from 10 kW to 24 kW, ideal for commercial and industrial applications. The Symo Advanced is lightweight and combines high-power density with flexibility to ensure the fastest possible installation for your PV project. The small number of total power conversion electronics adds to the high serviceability from any mounting spot. You get total system granularity with only a low number of system components.
- Smart shade mitigation with Dynamic Peak Manager
- SuperFlex Design for complex roofs and maximum design flexibility
- 208V AC and 480 AC versions available
- SunSpec transmitter for Module Level Rapid Shutdown integrated
- Truly field-serviceable
What’s new? Generac’s PWRcell Inverter works seamlessly with the full PWRcell product ecosystem, including the recently launched PWRmanager and PWRgenerator. Upcoming firmware updates allowing AC Coupled PV and Generator Integration will also be compatible with the same great PWRcell Inverter you’re used to. Strategic firmware updates throughout the past years like these have continued to polish the PWRcell System as a comprehensive clean energy management solution. To further round out the Generac menu, the company will be debuting its PWRmicro later this year.
The PWRcell Inverter was designed with the installer in mind. Its ability to DC couple to solar and storage devices via the built-in combiner makes installation easy, allowing for plug-and-play operation. Solar + storage is simplified with this single hybrid inverter for grid-tied solar and whole home power. Ideal for backup power applications, as well as self-supply and zero-export energy cost management
- Available in 7.6 kW single-phase or 11.4 kW three-phase models
- Over 97% peak efficiency
- Simplified system design: No autotransformer or battery inverter needed
- Seamless integration with Generac Load Management options and Automatic Transfer Switch for whole-home backup capabilities
- Backed by a 10-year limited warranty
The microinverter technology you’re familiar with, coming soon from the leader in home energy technology. Generac Dual-module PWRmicros will offer up to 720W continuous power for maximum performance and faster installation at an unbeatable value. Market-leading power throughput taps the potential of larger solar modules and maximizes lifetime system value. Install single-module PWRmicros in combination with dual-module units for unmatched design flexibility. Simplify installation, maximize production, and navigate difficult shade scenarios and complex rooflines with Generac’s line of microinverters.
Five key specs:
1. Two models available: 720W Dual-module PM2-720-01, and 290W Single-module PM1-290-01
2. Minimizes losses due to shading and debris
3. Eliminates single points of failure
4. Integrated grounding and modular bus cabling
5. NEC rapid shutdown compliant
- The Pitch: How Generac’s PWRgenerator and PWRmanager ensure whole home backup with solar and one battery
- Distributors: CED Greentech, Glenn International, Krannich Solar, BayWa r.e.
- Email address: email@example.com
What’s new? Morningstar is introducing a line of small inverters for industrial and other off-grid applications. The SureSine pure sine wave inverter line debuts at InterSolar Europe this May, initially with 6 models, from 150-2500 Watts in both North American 120V and International 230V versions. Models support combinations of 12/24/48V batteries.
These are the “Morningstar of inverters,” based on long-time customer demand for an inverter line built to the same quality and performance standards as Morningstar charge controllers and Morningstar’s SureSine Classic inverter, including fanless design for long-term reliability. This extends those Morningstar values into an entire inverter line.
- SureSine is engineered for system-level integration with Morningstar charge controllers
- Morningstar uses use superior industrial-grade engineering and “over-spec” components throughout, including an over-built low-frequency transformer for excellent surge tolerance and pure sine wave output.
- Full communications capabilities including Bluetooth and EIA-485, as well as wireless Android and iOS utility apps for set-up and monitoring
- Features include multiple AC hardwire options on selected models and easy custom programming.
What’s new? NEP expanded its microinveter line up to include the EQ-800, a 2x400Wac dual microinverter with Rule 21 certifications. The company also refined its Rapid Shutdown solutions focusing on single and dual module devices with two-way data communications for enhanced safety and service efficiency.
NEP microinverters emphasize lower cost via dual-panel devices, and higher AC power production to maximize energy harvest. Less labor, lower cost per Watt and power capacity to eliminate energy clipping on even the largest PV panels.
- EQ-800, 800Wac – 400Wac per panel
- For 1.5 DC/AC ratio up to 2x600Wdc modules
- RULE 21 compliant
- Integrated AC cable… less labor, no cost adder
- 25% lower cost than industry leading supplier
NEP’s unique, two-way data communication Rapid Shutdown solution enables installer confidence that rapid shutdown is functioning correctly. This is valuable for safety assurance, code compliance, AHJ approval and characterization of the array performance upon commissioning. Further, NEP includes IV Curve trace ‘service mode’ to enable easier measurements at time of commissioning and through the life of the project. NEP’s optional data gateway is available for remote PV panel diagnostics and data performance.
- PVG-1 and PVG-2 for single and dual PV panels
- Mounting for racking rail and optional clip available for PV module frame mount
- Two way data flow for safety and performance with optional NEP gateway
- Transmitters available in stand-along enclosure and integrated with leading C&I inverters providers
- Webinar: Intelligent rapid shutdown with string inverters
- Distributors: CED, REXEL, CPS (Chint Power Systems), Solwel
- Website: northernep.com
What’s new? PV with integrated storage continues to dominate discussions in large-scale applications. Utilities are investing in storage in a meaningful way and preparing for an increasingly large demand from electric vehicles. They are also increasingly looking at owning and operating distributed assets for improved control. SMA’s investment in its storage technology has been apparent with new offerings in the utility, commercial, and residential spaces in the works. Beyond storage, a disruptive new method for addressing compliance with rooftop shutdown requirements is here. We will see the first certifications to UL3741 as a method to shutdown within an array boundary. This certification will provide commercial and residential integrators with maximum safety, while reducing fire risk, improving system reliability, while doing so at a significant cost savings.
SMA Sunny Boy inverters feature ShadeFix optimization and integrated SunSpec certified rapid shutdown transmitters. ShadeFix optimization is a proprietary, integrated inverter technology that optimizes PV system energy production in every situation – even when shading occurs. SMA’s ShadeFix optimization produces more energy and reduces system componentry by more than 50 percent compared to using traditional DC optimizers. SMA inverters paired with SunSpec certified rapid shutdown receivers are the simplest, most reliable way to achieve compliance with NEC 2017.
- More energy produced than traditional DC optimizers
- Fewer components and improved reliability
- Simple design and installation
- No unnecessary risk of fires or accidents
- Faster service thanks to SMA Smart Connected
The Sunny Boy Storage battery inverter has been precisely engineered to serve as the intelligent interface between PV, the electrical grid and industry-leading high-voltage batteries. Its AC coupled architecture enables installation at any point in time, providing greater flexibility and giving installers the opportunity to generate new business with existing customers. Along with its ability to address the large retrofit market of existing PV systems, it also delivers the most cost effective, versatile and innovative residential storage solution available. Whole home backup is also available with the SMA Automatic Backup Unit.
- AC coupled for new PV systems or retrofitting existing systems
- Multiple configuration options with the ability to expand
- High level of system integration provides unmatched monitoring and control
- Three separate DC inputs allow for maximum power and energy capacity
- Solutions for energy management, zero export, and demand charge avoidance
The Sunny Tripower CORE1 is the only inverter that offers an intelligent IV curve diagnostic, advanced string monitoring, and SMA Smart Connected. The world’s first free-standing PV inverter for commercial rooftops, carports, ground mount and repowering legacy solar projects, the Sunny Tripower CORE1 enables logistical, material, labor, and service cost reductions, and is the most versatile, cost-effective commercial solution available.
- Requires no additional racking for rooftop installation
- System visibility with intelligent IV curve diagnostic and advanced string monitoring
- Integrated SunSpec PLC signal for module-level rapid shutdown compliance to 2017 NEC
- ShadeFix optimization generates more power
- SMA Smart Connected, Sunny Portal, and SMA’s Online Service Center provide automatic, proactive, and unmatched service support
The SMA Medium Voltage Power Station offers the highest power density in a plug & play design, which is suitable for global use. Integrators can rely on the most robust, technically advanced, and internationally certified hardware for power conversion in any climate. As one of the first truly global systems, it is the ideal choice for next generation PV power plants operating at 1,500 VDC. The SMA Medium Voltage Power Station combines the highest plant safety with maximum energy production and minimized logistical and operating risk for large scale PV power plant projects.
- The MVPS is encased in a CSC compliant container (meeting international safety standards), which provides the lowest logistical and transportation costs.
- Fit for large utility plants as it optimizes cost of energy
- Power density and smaller footprint means fewer inverters on large projects, reducing integration and BOS costs.
- Fully integrated solution including switchgear and transformer
- Turnkey AC and DC coupled storage solutions from SMA available.
For more info:
- Webinar: Top Five Overlooked Service Considerations in Utility PV Plants: What You Need to Know
- Distributors: Where to buy SMA
- Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: www.sma-america.com
What’s new? Schneider Electric’s upcoming offerings make managing whole home and partial home backup easy. Schneider Electric recently launched a new InsightCloud user interface and made updates to the InsightMobile app that will make managing solar and storage systems easier. InsightCloud features a clean UI with improved navigation, a new multi-site overview, and site comparison that allows for a more insightful experience. As part of the InsightMobile update, solar professionals now have even further control over how the site is configured. With the app, you can now edit the site, scan the MAC address and serial number as you configure a site.
The XW Pro leads Schneider Electric Solar’s hybrid inverter range, as it provides installers with the flexibility to design and install a complete solar and storage system. The XW Pro offers a high overload power rating of 1.75x with the ability to stack up to 4 inverter units to increase overall power output. Because of its scalable and adaptable infrastructure, the XW Pro can also be integrated with lithium-ion batteries for solar and storage, or backup power systems without solar. Schneider Electric’s solar hybrid inverters come with a complete ecosystem of accessories to enable efficient installation. This includes integration with MPPT charge controllers and Insight Energy Management, Schneider Electric’s energy management software that allows solar professionals to remotely manage multiple installation sites with ease.
- Reliable performance with a 6.8 kW output with up to 12 kW peak overload
- Flexibility in installations and operations with Stacking capability of up to 4 units in single-phase or 6 units in 3-phase
- Compatibility with a wide range of battery technologies, including Lithium-ion battery integration
- Optional integration with generator
- Compatible for use across a wide range of applications such as grid-tied, off-grid, self-consumption, backup power
What’s new? Sol-Ark is launching several new product families and extending its proven inverter line this year. With a strong reputation for best-in-class technology, the Sol-Ark team has steadily advanced by adding real value to home and business owners’ pursuit of energy independence and resilience.
The Sol-Ark family of hybrid inverters, the SA-5K, SA-8K and SA-12K, are truly workhorses for solar + storage systems, and the newest model, the Limitless SA-15K has a number of new features and advantages, including a 200A main switch (so there’s no subpanel needed). Features and benefits include parallel stacking, grid sell, meter zero, time of use, smart load, AC coupling, & peak shaving. Sol-Ark’s stackable 12K inverter does both split phase and true 3 phase. The company has partnered with many battery companies like SimpliPhi, Fortress, Blue Ion, Storz Power, PowerSync, and Discover to advance inverter and battery control through extensive communications.
- 20 kW pk power
- 4ms UPS Transfer times,
- Generator support,
- 93% Round Trip Efficiency
Sol-Ark's Microinverters are the M-1000 (2-channel) and M-2000 (4-channel). More info coming soon.
- Distributors: CED Greentech, Soligent, City Electric Supply, AEE, Krannich, Beacon, The PowerStore, GenPro energy solutions, Zonna Energy, Inter-Island, R&R, BayWa, AltE store, Northern Arizona Wind & Sun, Renvu, Multi Batteries, Warren, HES, Sentinel, Solar Solutions, & more
What’s new? SolarEdge recently launched the SolarEdge Home battery, a 10kWh battery that has 94.5% round trip efficiency and allows up to 3 batteries to be installed on its Home Hub inverter. Additionally, SolarEdge has announced several new features in its mySolarEdge app, including Weather Guard, a feature designed to fully charge the battery when a potential severe weather event is detected nearby. Looking forward, SolarEdge will release its new S-Series residential Power Optimizer, which features SolarEdge Sense Connect, a step change in arc-fault detection and prevention. In the C&I space, SolarEdge is looking to bring to market solutions that serve large-scale and community solar applications. S-series Power Optimizers implement condition monitoring features, or the ability to identify changes in a PV array that could indicate a developing arc fault.
The SolarEdge Home Hub inverter’s industry leading 99% weighted efficiency paired with its ability to DC oversize up to 200% allows installers to install more power, increase system ROI, and better meet the increasing energy needs of their customers. Additionally, the DC-coupled Home battery offers installers the ability to install the inverter, battery, and EV charger on a single breaker which enables faster installation both at the time of install, as well as with future additions, with fewer main panel upgrades. All of this paired with a standard warranty of 12 years extendable to 25 years, integrated arc fault protection, and in app features such as Weather Guard, enables installers to offer their customers increased peace of mind and reliability.
- 99% weighted efficiency, 94.5% round trip efficiency with SolarEdge Home Battery
- Pairs quickly with up to 3 SolarEdge Home batteries per inverter, Smart EV Charger, and SolarEdge Smart Energy Devices, with up to 3 inverters per system.
- DC coupling allows for inverter, battery, and EV charger to be installed on one breaker, resulting in fewer main panel upgrades, and lower installation costs
- 3.8 kW to 11.4 kW range with up to 200% DC oversizing allowed
- NEMA 4X and UL1741SA certified
The next generation three-phase inverters with Synergy Technology are designed to provide higher power and higher profitability in large-scale ground mount, community solar, rooftop and carport PV installations. They maximize energy production with up to 150% DC oversizing. The system offers improved uptime through a modular architecture and independently working units. With the pre-commissioning feature, installers can automatically validate system components and wiring from their smartphones well in advance of AC grid connection. To avoid module performance degradation, the solution includes a built-in nighttime PID (potential induced degradation) feature.
This new line offers an extra layer of protection through built-in thermal sensors on the DC and AC terminal blocks for early detection of potential thermal issues. It comes with a 12-year warranty extendable to 20 years.
Three Phase Inverter with Synergy Technology Power Ratings:
- 50kW @208V grid,
- 80kW, 100kW, 110kW, 120kW @480V grid
- 2-person installation (each inverter consists of 2 or 3 Synergy units and one Synergy Manager)
- Pre-commissioning designed to resolve system issues before grid connection via SetApp and a USB power bank.
- Monitored and field-replaceable type 2 surge protection devices (SPDs)
- Solution includes solar module level optimizer yielding savings on eBOS and allowing for greater energy production over plant life
Three Phase Inverter Power Ratings:
- 10kW (available in Q3 2022), 17.3kW @208V grid;
- 30kW, 40kW @480V grid
What’s new? Solis US introduces a new PV String Hybrid Energy Storage inverter in Q4 2022. The new Solis S6 Hybrid models range from 3.8K to 11.4K, are UL 9540 listed with a wide variety of dc-coupled HV batteries, and now include a Bluetooth interface and a 120/240 autotransformer for native split phase backup power. This new family of inverters — S6-EH-1P-(3.8-11.4)K-H-US — is being certified to the new UL 1741 SB test standard and will be Rule 21 and HECO compliant.
An evolution of the Gen 5 model, the S6 can support a critical load sub panel in the event of a power outage just as the Gen 5 model does today. But now, the new S6 can deliver as much as 11.4 ac kilowatts continuous at 48 amps to the most important loads in the house. With the new S6 models, homeowners can expand their system to operate as a whole home back-up solution by “stacking” as many as three (3) hybrid inverters and connecting it all together at the new Solis Power Hub, a line-side interconnection gateway for the Solis Hybrid inverters, RS 485 communications, a generator (optional), export power management and the Main Service Panel in the home. It also includes EV charging and micro-grid capabilities.
What’s new? Tigo Energy, renowned for its module level power electronics (MLPE) that enhance PV systems with other solar inverters, is listed for the first time in the Inverter Buyer’s Guide because it now has its own inverter. This Energy Intelligence (EI) Battery and Inverter product line will benefit from native integrations of other Tigo technology and is an extension of the Tigo Enhanced commercial and industrial solar partnership program into the residential market.
Our Tigo EI Residential Hybrid Inverter can work as a standalone photovoltaic inverter today and when you’re ready for storage, easily add our EI Battery. When paired with Tigo’s Optimizers, our patented PIV enables more output per given area and modules to be placed in areas with shade. PVRSS certified for Rapid shutdown with Tigo’s TS4-A-O and TS4-A-F/-2F MLPE, right out of the box. 50V startup, let’s the inverter wake up early and shutdown later = able to maximize more energy production through the day.
Five key specs:
1. Available in 7.6kW and 11.4kW models
2. Storage-ready ‘hybrid’ inverter
3. 50V starting voltage, wide operating range
4. Up to 200% DC oversizing (2:1 DC/AC ratio)
5. Warranty = 152 months
The 200% DC oversizing allows the installer to leverage the most energy out of the PV system. When paired with Tigo’s Optimizers, our patented PIV enables more output per given area and modules to be placed in areas with shade. PVRSS certified for Rapid shutdown with Tigo’s TS4-A-O and TS4-A-F/-2F MLPE, right out of the box. 50V startup, let’s the inverter wake up early and shutdown later = able to maximize more energy production through the day.Tigo supplies all the major components of a Residential Energy Storage System: Inverter, Battery, ATS and MLPE (Optimization, Monitoring, and Rapid Shutdown). All system data is accessed and monitored through Tigo Energy Intelligence (EI) portal.
Five key specs:
1. Available in 7.6kW and 11.4kW models
2. 50V starting voltage, wide operating range
3. Flexible for both DC and AC coupled system
4. Up to 200% DC oversizing (2:1 DC/AC ratio)
5. Warranty = 152 months
Have you checked out our YouTube page?
We have a ton video interviews and additional content on our YouTube page. Recently we debuted Power Forward! -- a collaboration with BayWa r.e. to discuss higher level industry topics as well as best practices / trends for running a solar business today.
Our longer running side project is The Pitch -- in which we have awkward discussions with solar manufacturers and suppliers about their new technology and ideas so that you don't have to. We've discusses everything from residential rail-less deck attaching and home solar financing to large-scale energy storage value stacking and utility-driven new home solar + storage microgrids.
We also post our Project of the Year announcements there! Interviews with this year's winners will be up starting the week of Nov. 8. Head there and subscribe today to stay on top of all this extra stuff.