Solar PV systems for commercial buildings seem like a no-brainer considering the roof space, but growth has been slow in this segment in part because solar on its own doesn’t solve a commercial building’s biggest energy cost: monthly demand charges. Solving for demand charges usually means coupling the solar with energy storage, but batteries are costly, which brings this back to being a tough sell. Today we’re chatting with John Powers, CEO of Extensible Energy, who has an interesting solution for avoiding those steep demand charges with just solar PV (no batteries needed!) in the right applications.
Solar Distancing archive
- Episode 21: Sizing a storage system based on an energy bill
- Episode 20: Generac explains its Power Zoning solar PV approach
- Episode 19: What is round-trip efficiency?
- Episode 18: How to ‘future-proof’ solar PV systems today to add storage later
- Episode 17: What is a hybrid solar PV inverter?
- Episode 16: Avoiding peak electricity rates at home
- Episode 15: The value of home energy monitoring apps as part of a PV project
- Episode 14: Virtual, no-touch sales and marketing plan for solar installation companies
- Episode 13: Common home energy backup mistakes and misconceptions
- Episode 12: Creating an all-in home solar, battery storage and generator system with Generac
- Episode 11: Discussing generator backup vs. energy storage backup with Generac
- Episode 10: The value of solar + storage system monitoring
- Episode 9: Choosing among your solar + storage battery options
- Episode 8: Can batteries and generators coexist on the same system?
- Episode 7: How to add energy storage to a grid-tied solar PV system
- Episode 6: Difference between grid-dependent solar and grid-connected solar with storage
- Episode 5: Basics of battery recycling
- Episode 4: Battery charging and monitoring basics for solar + storage
- Episode 3: How to size a battery bank for your solar PV system
- Episode 2: What should solar installers work on during this time?
- Episode 1: What the heck is this?
Have you checked out our YouTube page?
We have a ton video interviews and additional content on our YouTube page. Recently we debuted Power Forward! -- a collaboration with BayWa r.e. to discuss higher level industry topics as well as best practices / trends for running a solar business today.
Our longer running side project is The Pitch -- in which we have awkward discussions with solar manufacturers and suppliers about their new technology and ideas so that you don't have to. We discuss everything from residential rail-less deck attaching and home solar financing to large-scale energy storage value stacking and utility-driven new home solar + storage microgrids.