If a home already has an existing solar PV system, energy storage can be added as a retrofit via AC coupling — as long as you have the right inverter in place and understand the nuances. Ian McCluskey, Associate Product Manager for Outback Power, explains how to do it, and how the result may differ from a DC-coupled system.
Solar Distancing archive
- Episode 6: Difference between grid-dependent solar and grid-connected solar with storage
- Episode 5: Basics of battery recycling
- Episode 4: Battery charging and monitoring basics for solar + storage
- Episode 3: How to size a battery bank for your solar PV system
- Episode 2: What should solar installers work on during this time?
- Episode 1: What the heck is this?
Have you checked out our YouTube page?
We have a ton video interviews and additional content on our YouTube page. Recently we debuted Power Forward! -- a collaboration with BayWa r.e. to discuss higher level industry topics as well as best practices / trends for running a solar business today.
Our longer running side project is The Pitch -- in which we have awkward discussions with solar manufacturers and suppliers about their new technology and ideas so that you don't have to. We've discusses everything from residential rail-less deck attaching and home solar financing to large-scale energy storage value stacking and utility-driven new home solar + storage microgrids.
We also post our Project of the Year announcements there! Interviews with this year's winners will be up starting the week of Nov. 8. Head there and subscribe today to stay on top of all this extra stuff.