Residential solar sales have been hurt by coronavirus concerns — but customer interest and demand for home energy independence is higher than ever. Russ Minick, chief marketing officer of Generac, explains how solar companies can combine digital and streaming marketing with a virtual, touchless sales approach to sell solar + storage.
“We run a million-dollar direct to consumer lead generation program,” Minick notes in the video above. “So, every morning we can come in and see what the homeowner response is to the marketing we ran the day before, and I can tell you the interest in backup power is higher now, not lower.”
Obviously solar contractors aren’t running million-dollar marketing campaigns, but Minick relays some super handy, streamlined digital marketing ideas (like, targeting a keyword like ‘freezers’ now instead of solar power) and then shares a process for following up with any leads and generating sales proposals in a virtual environment. The advice is especially helpful now, but also shows a way to reduce soft costs going forward.
Solar Distancing archive
- Episode 13: Common home energy backup mistakes and misconceptions
- Episode 12: Creating an all-in home solar, battery storage and generator system with Generac
- Episode 11: Discussing generator backup vs. energy storage backup with Generac
- Episode 10: The value of solar + storage system monitoring
- Episode 9: Choosing among your solar + storage battery options
- Episode 8: Can batteries and generators coexist on the same system?
- Episode 7: How to add energy storage to a grid-tied solar PV system
- Episode 6: Difference between grid-dependent solar and grid-connected solar with storage
- Episode 5: Basics of battery recycling
- Episode 4: Battery charging and monitoring basics for solar + storage
- Episode 3: How to size a battery bank for your solar PV system
- Episode 2: What should solar installers work on during this time?
- Episode 1: What the heck is this?
Have you checked out our YouTube page?
We have a ton video interviews and additional content on our YouTube page. Recently we debuted Power Forward! -- a collaboration with BayWa r.e. to discuss higher level industry topics as well as best practices / trends for running a solar business today.
Our longer running side project is The Pitch -- in which we have awkward discussions with solar manufacturers and suppliers about their new technology and ideas so that you don't have to. We've discusses everything from residential rail-less deck attaching and home solar financing to large-scale energy storage value stacking and utility-driven new home solar + storage microgrids.
We also post our Project of the Year announcements there! Interviews with this year's winners will be up starting the week of Nov. 8. Head there and subscribe today to stay on top of all this extra stuff.