...We Energy, Wisconsin Public Service to purchase Koshkonong Solar Energy Center | Solar Builder

We Energy, Wisconsin Public Service to purchase Koshkonong Solar Energy Center


We Energies and Wisconsin Public Service, the largest utilities in WEC Energy Group (WEC), are proposing to purchase the Koshkonong Solar Energy Center, a planned 465 MW solar and battery storage project in south-central Wisconsin. The project is part of WEC Energy Group’s plan to invest nearly $2 billion in new solar, wind and battery storage projects at its utilities by 2025.

The Koshkonong Solar Energy Center would feature 300 MW of solar generation and 165 MW of battery storage, which can store solar-generated power and provide customers with “sunshine after sunset.” The total investment is expected to be $649 million. If approved, the project is planned to be built in Dane County, Wisconsin and would be the largest renewable energy project in the state.

This is the third large-scale solar and battery project announced in 2021 by We Energies and WPS. Earlier this year, the companies announced plans for the 325-MW Darien Solar Energy Center and 310-MW Paris Solar-Battery Park.

“The Koshkonong project is another key component in our effort to build a sustainable future and ensure electric reliability in the region,” said Tom Metcalfe, president — We Energies and WPS. “We saw this winter in Texas and other states the dangerous results when people are without heat and power. Our focus on investing in affordable, reliable and clean energy means customers will have the energy they need when they need it.”

We Energies and WPS would own 90 percent of the project. Madison Gas and Electric would own the other 10 percent. The project is being developed by Invenergy. Construction is expected to begin in late 2022 with commercial operation in 2024 upon approval.

Have you checked out our YouTube page?

We have a ton video interviews and additional content on our YouTube page. Recently we debuted Power Forward! -- a collaboration with BayWa r.e. to discuss higher level industry topics as well as best practices / trends for running a solar business today.

Our longer running side project is The Pitch -- in which we have awkward discussions with solar manufacturers and suppliers about their new technology and ideas so that you don't have to. We've discusses everything from residential rail-less deck attaching and home solar financing to large-scale energy storage value stacking and utility-driven new home solar + storage microgrids.

We also post our Project of the Year announcements there! Interviews with this year's winners will be up starting the week of Nov. 8. Head there and subscribe today to stay on top of all this extra stuff.

Tags: , , , ,
  • xxx
  • Janice Redford
    May 18, 2021 14:38:55

    I am writing articles for the Edgerton Reporter about the Koshkonong Solar Center. Please include me in any press releases you may have regarding that facility.