Altus Power to build 5 MW community solar project in Hawaii

Altus Power solar

Altus Power plans to develop Hawaii’s largest community solar project to date that will soon deliver clean electric power at a discount to a local medical facility, its employees and residents of Oahu.

Upon completion of the 5 MW array expected later this summer, Altus Power will sell approximately 60% of the clean electricity generated to a non-profit company that operates a medical facility and the remaining 40% of the electricity will be available to benefit the homes of employees and other residents. Altus Power will own and operate the ground-mounted solar farm in Kapolei and deliver the power into the Hawaiian Electric grid.

“Community Solar allows residents to access the benefits of clean electric power at a discount, whether you live in an apartment building or a single-family home,” said Lars Norell, co-CEO and cofounder, Altus Power. “As one of the first large-scale community solar providers in Hawaii, we’re committed to help the state reach its goal of 100% renewable energy by 2045.”

Consumers who subscribe to the Altus Community Solar Partnership Program will generate savings on their monthly utility bills while also supporting Hawaii’s transition to clean electric power, with a projected savings of up to $500 annually, compared to their local utility bills.

“We’re excited the shared solar program is taking root and opening up to residential customers who haven’t been able to install private rooftop solar,” said Lani Shinsato, co-director of customer energy resources, Hawaiian Electric. “Providing customers with options is critical, and shared solar projects like this will allow subscribers to reduce their energy bill and take part in the state’s clean energy transition.”

Based in Stamford, Connecticut, Altus Power currently serves more than 20,000 community solar subscribers in the United States. Community solar provides homeowners and renters of diverse income brackets access to the benefits of clean energy and power bill savings without the requirement of installing solar panels on their roofs. The independent commercial-scale provider of clean electric power servers commercial, industrial, public sector and community solar customers with end-to-end solutions. The company originates, develops, owns and operates locally sited solar generation, energy storage and charging infrastructure across the United States.

Listen to more in-depth conversations on Solar Builder's YouTube channel

Our most popular series include:

Power Forward! | A collaboration with BayWa r.e. to discuss higher level industry topics.
The Buzz | Where we give our 2 cents per kWh on the residential solar market.
The Pitch | Discussions with solar manufacturers about their new technology and ideas.

Tags: , ,

Comments are closed here.