The Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA) was approved by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) to develop 11 new solar and energy storage standards, one of which covers supply chain traceability. This approval occurs less than two months after being approved as an Accredited Standards Development Organization.
“As the solar and storage industry rapidly grows, managing our growth must be a top priority” said SEIA president and CEO Abigail Ross Hopper. “Responsible industries set the bar for guidance on safety, sustainability and ethics, and we are proud to lead the clean energy sector into an era of compliance and maturity that instills confidence in customers, lawmakers, and other critical partners.”
The approved proposals, which appear in the latest ANSI Standards Action publication, include standards for residential and commercial and industrial installation requirements, supply chain traceability, consumer protection, decommissioning, recycling and end of life management, as well as training for installation, operations and maintenance, and health and safety.
These standards will be developed under a multi-step, consensus process through SEIA’s Standard Technical Committees, a diverse collection of SEIA members and industry leaders who represent solar developers, installation companies and voices throughout the solar value chain.
SEIA’s first Standards Technical Committee will prioritize the development of a supply chain traceability standard. This work will build on SEIA’s traceability protocol and is the natural progression of SEIA’s leadership to ensure that solar and storage products installed in the United States are sourced in an ethical and sustainable way.
SEIA’s first American National Standard on Solar and Energy Storage Supply Chain Traceability Standard is planned for publication in early 2024.
SEIA is approved by ANSI to develop the following standards:
- Solar and Energy Storage Supply Chain Traceability Standard
- Solar and Energy Storage Installation Requirements Standard: Residential Systems
- Solar and Energy Storage Installation Requirements Standard: Residential Systems Installer Training
- Solar and Energy Storage Installation Requirements Standard: Commercial & Industrial Systems
- Solar and Energy Storage Installation Requirements Standard: Commercial & Industrial Systems Installer Training
- Solar and Energy Storage Operations and Maintenance Standard: Technician Training
- Solar and Energy Storage Consumer Protection Standard
- Solar and Energy Storage Environmental, Health, and Safety Standard: Installer and Technician Training
- Solar and Energy Storage Equipment Decommissioning Standard
- Solar Equipment Minimum Requirements for Recyclers
- Solar Equipment End-of-Performance / End-of Life Management Standard
Listen to more in-depth conversations on Solar Builder's YouTube channel
Our most popular series include:
Power Forward! | A collaboration with BayWa r.e. to discuss higher level industry topics.
The Buzz | Where we give our 2 cents per kWh on the residential solar market.
The Pitch | Discussions with solar manufacturers about their new technology and ideas.